Albany, NY- The Governor’s Office has announced the first vaping death in New York.
The case was reported Tuesday to the State Health Department. According to officials, a 17-year-old male from the Bronx, NY was hospitalized nearly one month ago from what was reported as a respiratory illness from vaping.
"We had our first death and the State Department of Health is investigating the details of it. Parents have to know, young people have to know: you are playing with your life when you play with this stuff. And it's not just best case scenario for vaping. You get addicted to nicotine, Cuomo said. “And that is a life long struggle. I can tell you as a person who was young and stupid and smoked, it is an addiction you will fight for your entire life."
As it was reported, the vaping industry successfully sued and created a temporary block against the new state ban against flavored e-cigarette products. According to federal officials, there have been 18 reported deaths in the U.S. that have links to vaping related illnesses.
In addition, over 1,000 people have been confirmed sick from a vaping related product.
E-cigarette advocates and supporters stand firm with their stance that these cases of death and illness are correlated to black market THC products, not regular flavors that can be purchased legally from a vaping store.